Tings to look into on the otherwise awesome site (i’m looking at it in Chrome):
– mouse arrow disappears when touching links
– can the tabs “Join project” etc be numbered 1 to 3?
– the MAP YOUR BEETLES” should perhaps be “4: AND SEE WHAT LIVES IN YOUR BACKYARD” I just really want it to be a clear sequence of steps towards the map.
– replace ethanol with “Purell alcohol-based hand sanitizer”
– the tab “catch beetles” disappears after a while
– Supplies: soda bottle (2 liter), hand sanitizer (alcohol-based, Purell is best), string, paint brush, small ziploc bag, padded envelope for shipping
– the link to the printable PDF is a good idea, but a heads up: we will have to use a different one that reflects this simpler method, based on hand sanitizer. Good for now though…
The lower field, that contains the map:
– Can the map be big? I mean as big as is convenient/possible? Ideally across 2/3 or 3/4 of that field.
– The remaining portion of that field should have the heading “What is this project about” that’s good. And I think underneath that we will have to include a couple of educational or explanatory items, or links to them. For example, on of them should be: Why do beetles fall into hand sanitizer? The explanation is: “When a tree dies, the process of wood degradation produces alcohol. Because bark and ambrosia beetles evolved attraction to alcohol, because need to find dead trees to reproduce. Hand sanitizers contain lots of alcohol, and that’s we can use them to attract bark beetles!” Should we make a pop-up? Or some other type or short paragraph-type records? There will be more of those…