Experiment with SDS-EDTA.
- Please make 100 ml solution of 2% SDS and 100mM EDTA. Borrow these chemicals from the Smith lab (Adam Black know that you are coming) and use deionized water.
- Prepare 18 live beetles from one of the plastic boxes in the lab.
- Pour the solution in a small soda bottle, and throw 9 beetles in it. Do not close the bottle! Hang the bottle (open) outside on a tree where no one will disturb it.
- The other 9 beetles will go in ethanol and in the freezer; label the tube “SDS-EDTA experiment”.
- 5, 10 and 15 days from the start, remove 3 beetles from each treatment, extract DNA (MoBio kit) and run a gel. Measure DNA concentration using quantitative ladder.