Before introducing beetles into new tubes, pass them through several vials with moist kimwipe (all sterile), two days in each vial. This way they empty out their guts, attached spores, and mites. IMPORTANT – poke a hole in the vial lid, otherwise beetles quickly suffocate. No need to rush – the longer the beetles are out of the gallery, the more pure will be their symbiont in the mycangium.
- vial with 1ml PBS + 0.1% Tween (one small drop), and
- vial with 40% EtOH (100% ethanol is too much, even 70%).
1. Drop beetle in PBS, vortex for 15 sec.
2. Take beetle out, put on paper to dry out.
3. Drop beetle in EtOH, keep in for 5 sec.
4. Take beetle out, put on paper to dry out.
5. If beetle is happy and alive, put in tube.
6. Record tube number and beetle species.